What we do
The Valiant School’s values based curriculum is designed around the 5 B’s
BE ME *** BE BRAVE *** BE KIND *** BE HEALTHY *** BE CURIOUS
The Valiant School aims for our children to :
• Value and recognise their own strengths, appreciate similarities and differences to others and always celebrate the journey of progress that happens with hard work. Grasp their own emotional development.
• Have the resilience to experience the challenges and enjoyment in all things, both familiar and new, to grow an inner sense of personal achievement (success breeds success).
• Show empathy and kindness in school and at home to harness happiness and take care of themselves, other people and property.
Be Healthy • Make positive choices to be healthy in all areas of their own wellbeing – mental, emotional, social, creative, intellectual and physical development.
• Love learning for life! Think and ask questions to enjoy exploring and learning about the world around them.
Meeting individual needs
A robust induction process ensures the sharing of transfer information from their own or previous school, parents, carers and baseline assessments of maths and EYFS literacy/ English. This allows an accurate plan to meet the needs of every individual child.
Key Points about The Valiant School Curriculum:
- Engaging story topic themes – access to quality reading texts, language and communication
- Daily reading, phonics and maths
- Bespoke daily emotional development
- Increased timetable for EYFS UTW, Science , PHSE and Expressive Arts
- Planned repetition and short subject units to support new children joining the school mid term
- Frequent educational visits and visitors integral to curriculum enrichment
- Children keep up with their peers at mainstream school
Classes (coming soon – click here to see more about the classes)
- 2 mixed age classes : phase 1 (EYFS & KS1)
phase 2 (KS2),
- Small class sizes with high adult to children ratios
- Children in the EYFS will learn through a balance of adult directed and child- initiated activities alongside a rich, enabling environment.
We offer a broad and balanced curriculum to ensure that our pupils are well placed to succeed in life.
EYFS Literacy @ communication and Lanaguage/ English
EYFS Literacy and Communication and Language – English :
- Half termly story topic to extend and develop vocabulary,
- Sequences of lessons linked to fiction, non-fiction and poetry.
- Every child receives daily individual reading with an adult.
- Daily shared whole class reading linked to topic or for enjoyment.
- Reading areas throughout the whole school for all ages.
- EYFS designated reading area.
- Sequences of lessons linked to the key topic texts with opportunities to write in a range of fiction and non-fiction genres.
- Spoken language, grammar and spelling
- EYFS opportunities for writing in purposefully planned learning environment.
- Anima Phonics Programme (DfE approved).
- Phonics is used to teach reading.
- Children will be supported to adapt to their mainstream school’s phonics scheme on transition back to their own school.
- The maths scheme sequences lessons in all areas of mathematics with a priority on fluency and reasoning.
- White Rose Maths Programme.
- EYFS opportunities for maths in purposefully planned learning environment.
Human and Social
- Is not taught as a curriculum subject
- Key people, places of worship , festivals and celebrations, similarities and differences are encountered within many areas of the curriculum in the school for example : EYFS Understanding of the world / Communication and language / PSED / Expressive arts and design – PSHE/ art / English stories and speaking and listening during visits and visitors.
- At the Valiant School Christianity is understood as the principle religion of England, children will also explore other religions including Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism and Judaism.
Understanding the world/ Science
Understanding the World / Science :
- Practical, hands on enquiry and scientific exploration to engage in active learning as much as possible.
- Timetabled at least twice a week,
- Two to three week blocks of knowledge content
- Linked to all areas of the curriculum .
- EYFS access Understanding the World in a purposefully planned learning environment.
Human and Social:
- EYFS Understanding the world EYFS people culture and communities- , Geography
- EYFS past & present History Ks1 and ks2.
- Timetabled once a week linked to PHSE, UTW/ science, art.
- prioritised for increased timetabled lessons and opportunities linked to all areas of SMSC and SRE.
- PHSE association scheme of work adapted to build from the EYFS curriculum with progression to key stage 1.
- EYFS PSED in a purposefully planned learning environment.
Physical Development / PE :
- timetabled at least once weekly.
- EYFS access daily physical development within a purposefully planned environment.
Understanding of the World / Computing
- Timetabled at least once weekly.
- NCCE scheme of work adapted to build from the EYFS curriculum key areas (National Centre for Computing Education)) .
Expressive arts and design :
- timetabled at least once weekly for art, linked into all areas of the curriculum for further opportunity to apply and create.
- EYFS access daily expressive arts and design opportunities in a purposefully planned environment.